Just before I sat down for lunch, my dad called me up and in hushed tones asked if my mom would like an electric juicer for Valentines Day. I was thus forced to drag myself out of the house and meet him at Takashimaya. It’s as if 24 years of marriage has taught my father absolutely NOTHING.
We (read: I) ended up buying my mother a very cute tea set, something she had eyed a few months ago but never picked up for whatever reason. I paid for it while my dad cushioned himself into a massage chair and was pestered by the sales attendant who insisted he put his legs up, and my dad, never getting too comfortable in public, point blank refused.
Now of course this trip to the mall wasn’t so much for Mum’s Valentines Day present as it was a reason for Dad to buy himself a golf kit. So I waited around the golf store for a good 45 minutes while dad quizzed all the sales attendants on which golf set was better and why and what was the difference and why should he pay so much money. Really, dad? Tsk.
My constant dreamy state of mind I think I got from my father. He’s the last person not to care, but he just has selective sensory powers. So I'm trudging through Kinokuniya to buy wrapping paper with a massive box in one hand and his golf kit slung over my shoulder and must I have to again stress on the fact that I have ONLY ONE GOOD LEG?! Oh well. Some application on his Iphone must be so much more interesting than wrapping paper obviously.
Getting back into the car,
Dad: “who’s singing?”
Me: “yes.”
Dad: “no, who?”
Me: “yes!”
Dad: “tell me who is singing this song!”
Me: “yeah! Who is singing this song”
Dad: “madarchod.”
Pinball Wizard by The Who.
At a traffic light dad suddenly looks at me and exclaims, we didn’t pick up an anniversary card! I went on to remind him that it wasn’t his anniversary, to which he looked aghast and demanded an explanation to why he just bought mom a present.
Valentines Day, dad. Valentines.
Sigh.
Dad: “you want nuggets?”
Me: “do you want nuggets?”
Dad: “I asked you first.”
Me: “OK.”
Dad: “OK.”
1 comment:
I love this one :).. I can so picture this scenario. This post really made me smile. Thanks for sharing it.
Post a Comment