Wednesday, July 27, 2011

nails and bones


"to be a writer, man, you know, you gotta haveta understand the human condition. you have to tap into how people suffer, you know. i mean forget about your puntuition, or how ever it is you call it. and then imagine words like they are feelin's, melting  into each other with out stoppage or startage and in-betweenage rubbish that is ridiculously insignificant when you come to see it all. i mean, to be a writer, man, you need to be so unafraid to look into you dark places, without making a funny face if its all wet and sticky. i mean, its like getting that one leg up on a chair and holding a pocket mirror under your crotch to get a propah good look at your privates, so you know them as well as you do your mug, you know?

"to be a writer, man, you haveta be everyone. and you haveta see the shit and the gorgeousness in everythin. And to write with any spirit of Dickinson or Shelley or even that mill fucking bloom shit, you need to just abandon that twat voice in your head that needs you to be exact, because you wont write anything I’d like to read if you cant understand what it is to be vague while still saying exactly what I want to hear. “

i wrote, long hand and all, everything he had to say, looking up every couple of words from my pad to nod at him excitedly, even as with every sentence I felt with greater conviction that I couldn’t possibly be a writer. Man.

He didn’t seem to care but his face glowed because he knew I was listening with rapt attention, not so much like the girls he paid to bang. 

3 comments:

sheriffshooter said...

this was badass enough as it is, but this statement just stopped me cold, because that really explains what i do here 'you wont write anything I’d like to read if you cant understand what it is to be vague while still saying exactly what I want to hear'. thanks for this. man.

sheriffshooter said...

please give me his name so i can quote him, else i'll knight him sir anonymous.

Riddance and Digression said...

sir anonymous it is then